For the cake:
4 egg whites
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup flour
11″ x 15″ baking sheet
For the pattern paste:
Printed emoji heart eye pattern 11″ x 15″ (download here)
1 egg white
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
Yellow, pink, and orange food coloring
For the cream cheese frosting:
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
1. Combine all of the ingredients for the pattern paste in a large bowl. Divide into three equal parts, and color the pink, yellow, and orange. Transfer these to piping bags.
2. Print out the pattern design above and tape it to your baking sheet (make sure you remove the paper and tape before baking). Place a sheet of parchment paper over your design and pipe the design onto the parchment paper. Put in the freezer to harden while you make the rest of the cake.
3. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk the egg whites until a stiff peak forms. You only need egg whites for the cake, so throw away the yolks or place them in a separate bowl to use for something else later. Add in the sugar, butter, and flour to your egg white mixture and fold until just combined.
4. Take your patterned baking sheet out of the freezer and pour the cake batter over it, making sure that there is an equal distribution and the whole baking sheet is covered. Bake for 7 minutes.
5. Dust a sheet of parchment paper or a tea towel with powdered sugar and flip the cake over design-side up onto the parchment paper. Peel the other sheet of parchment paper off of your cake to reveal your design. Flip the whole cake over again so that the side that the design is on is facing up. (This video is very helpful to see how to roll up your cake)
6. Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream in a bowl together. Spread the frosting on the inside of the cake. Once the frosting is evenly distributed, roll up the cake into a spiral. Put the whole cake into the freezer for 30 minutes-1 hour. Remove from the freezer, slice, and enjoy!