It’s about time! It’s been too long since we had a cake project on the blog, and I’m really proud of how amazing this one turned out to! How many of you remember this easy DIY gift wrap we did last year? Well, when I was browsing cake molds on Amazon (as you do), I found a car mold that matched our gift wrap PERFECTLY. Sooo this year, we used it as the inspiration for our first holiday cake, and it’s pretty easy to make as well!
1. Grease the cake mold really well and fill 3/4 full with cake batter. Bake until golden, we baked ours for about 70 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. You may need to cover the top with tin foil after 20 minutes, if it hasn’t cooked through to make sure the top doesn’t burn.
2. Once the cake has cooked through, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Once the cake has cooled, level the top of the cake and run a knife gently along the edges of the pan to release the cake.
2. Allow your cake to cool in the fridge overnight or for a few hours. Cover the whole outside with an even layer of buttercream. Return it to the fridge to allow the buttercream to set.
3. Color a large amount of buttercream with pink food coloring and place in a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Color a small amount of buttercream gray and place it in a piping bag fitted with a large
4. Pipe pink buttercream along the outside of the car, leaving the wheels, windows, headlights, and bumpers white. Pipe the gray buttercream in the wheels, headlights, and bumpers.
5. Melt green chocolate melts and pour them into your tree mold. Place the mold in the refrigerator until it is set. Remove the finished tree from the mold and place on the top of your car cake.
6. Finish by placing chocolate smarties for lights and dusting with powdered sugar for snow!
Living in NYC means we don’t have a car, and by extension, we can’t go pick out a Christmas tree and drive it back home. 🙁 Since we can’t go pick out our tree in our vintage car, this will have to do for now! Ha! One day we’ll have that perfect Christmas car moment!!!