I feel like this column has been getting away from me! The last thing we cooked wasn’t spicy, and that is UNACCEPTABLE. (Even if it was delicious.) So today I’m taking it to the extreme. I’M STUFFING PEPPERS. Get ready for flavor!
Serving Size: 6 Peppers (3 people)
Time: 25-30 minutes
6 bell peppers, we used green, red, and yellow
2 cups of white rice
1 lb of ground beef
1 cup of finely choppped mushroom, we used baby bellas
2 1/2 tbsps of my taco seasoning (here)
This recipe was super fun to make, hopefully it is easy for you as well! You can swap out the ground beef for ground chicken in this recipe, that would probably be delicious. As always you can keep the cheese or make it dairy free too. When I went to the grocery store to get the supplies for this they were all out of orange bell peppers, but I’d recommend using some of them as well, because the color really pops!
1. Start by preheating your oven to 350 and cooking your rice: combining with 1 1/2 cups of water and bringing to a boil, then covering to simmer for about 15 mins. Once it’s cooked through remove it from the heat and let it sit for another 5-10.
2. While the rice cooks, decapitate your peppers, and remove the core and seeds, then place in a glass baking dish. Finely chop your mushrooms and jalapeño and set them aside in a bowl. Quarter your lime and dice your avocado, you’ll use them last.
3. You can also go ahead and mix your taco seasoning together, or use a store bought packet instead.
3. Now brown your ground beef on medium high heat in a large skillet, then drain the oil. Return the meat to the skillet, and add in the mushrooms, peppers and cooked rice, as well as your taco seasoning, and let them cook for together for about 3-5 minutes. You can also add cheese in at this point, cooking until it melts.
4. Stuff your peppers with the mixture and top off with cheese, then bake for 8-10 minutes.
5. Once they have finished baking, top them off with so freshly torn cilantro leaves, diced avocado and a squirt of lime juice.
And there you have it! Another recipe down, another delicious day gone. I’m thinking of adding in a new type of Friday post, maybe where I do a project or bake something that wouldn’t normally be featured with Sam’s stuff, what do y’all think? If you have any suggestions let me know in the comments. Seeya in a week!