Spring is here…or so they keep telling me! Ha! We got snow yesterday in NYC and today we’re facing 40 degree temperatures, so no real sign of Spring here yet. BUT I’m hoping to help rid those Winter blues with today’s delicious project. I’m not the biggest fan of real flowers (thanks allergies), but I love Springtime when floral patterns and pastel colors start to come back, so today we’re making flower-shaped pop tarts! Nothing really beats homemade pop tarts, and I’ve always been a firm believer that shaped pop tarts are severely underrated. And if you’ve neverrr made homemade pop tarts before, WHAT are you waiting for?! Let’s get to it!
2 pre-made pie crusts
1 jar of apricot jam (or any jam of your choosing)
1 egg yolk
Flower cookie cutters (we hand-cut ours, but you can buy cookie cutters here)
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons of milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pink, blue, and yellow food coloring
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Roll out your pie crust and cut out flower shapes using a sharp knife or a cookie cutter. Place two teaspoons of jam in the middle of each piece of crust.
3. Brush egg yolk along the edges of the crust and seal with another flower-shaped crust. Press down the outer edges with a fork.
4. Place on your baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
5. While the pop tarts are cooling, mix together your milk, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and a food coloring of your choice until smooth.
6. Once the pop tarts are cooled completely, pipe the icing onto the tops of the pop tarts and finish with sprinkles if desired.
What’s your favorite kind of flower?? I’m a big fan of daisies or those crazy rainbow roses just aesthetically! Pop tarts are one of our favorite things to eat around here for breakfast, and I’m kind of feeling like I should keep eating these flower-shaped ones until Spring ACTUALLY shows up around here. Have fun making these!