I was so determined to make this cake for one of our shoots last weekend, but I didn’t end up finishing it in time because we all know SO well how crazy busy this time of the year is, right?? Sooo I figured why not finish it up and show you all how to make it?! It’s an easy one, folks, and if you know how to make a round vanilla frosted cake, you can make this cutie!
P.S. This is our LAST cake of the year! Ahh, how sad is that?! We’ve made so many fun cakes this year, but I’m happy to be going out with a bang on a Holiday-themed one! Have you guys loved seeing our cake creations this year?
Two 9″ cake pans
Recipe for peppermint cake (I used this one)
Red or pink fondant
1. Bake your cake as per the instructions on your recipe. When the two cakes have finished baking, place them in the refrigerator to cool for 30 minutes.
2. Once the cakes have cooled, level off the tops of both cakes. Sandwich a layer of frosting in between both cakes. Put a thin layer of frosting on the whole outside of the cake. Place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes while you roll out your fondant.
3. On a piece of parchment paper, roll out about 20 oz of white fondant to 1/4″ thick. Carefully place the fondant over your cake, gently pushing down on it to smooth out any bumps. Set aside.
4. Roll out about 12 oz of pink or red fondant, and using a small knife, cut out 6 triangular shapes for the spirals on your cake. Place the spirals out on your cake and stick them down.
5. To create the wrapper sides of your peppermint candy cake, roll out a small amount of fondant to 1/4″ thick. Cut out 2 rectangles 4.5″ x 5.5″. Bunch up one side of both rectangles and allow them to sit overnight until hardened.
6. Once the fondant has hardened, cut a small slit in both sides of your cake and stick the fondant into both sides.
The perfect centerpiece for your dessert table at the Holiday party! And it didn’t cross my mind until just now, but how CRAZY GOOD would a chocolate peppermint candy cake taste? Oh myyyy, give me all of the things mint chocolate please and thank you!
I have loved seeing every single thing you have created this year. you are so inspiring and have motivated me to be more adventurous when it comes to my baking and diy projects.
2018 is the year i strive to make someone feel what I feel whenever i see something you’ve created: just pure awe. keep up the amazing work! i can’t wait to see what you come up with next year.
Indya || The Small Adventurer
This is SO sweet! You have absolutely made my day, thank you so much, it makes me so happy to hear this! And we’re so excited for what’s in store in 2018! xoSam
Thank you so much! We had fun with this one! 🙂 xoSam