Guys. I can’t even begin to tell you how OBSESSED I am over this cake!!! I dreamed this up in the Summer after we made our coconut drink cake and I’ve been dyinggg to make it ever since. And today’s the day! We’re showing you how to make your very own giant ornament cake! Imagine making one to match your favorite Holiday ornament, how cool would that be?! I don’t know if cake on Christmas day is a thing, but we should totally make it a thing. This would be so cute to bring out for dessert at your family party! I’m down for cake any day of the year, who’s with me?
1. Fill up each side of your sphere cake mold with 2 1/2 cups of your favorite cake batter and bake until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Once the cake has cooled, run a knife gently along the edge of the pan to release the cake.
2. Level both halves of the cake, cutting the bottom off of one half so the cake can sit flat on a cake board. Attach both halves with a layer of buttercream. Cover the whole outside with an even layer of buttercream and set aside.
3. On a piece of parchment paper, roll out your pink fondant to 1/4″ thick and make sure it’s a large enough amount to cover your whole cake. Carefully drape the fondant over the cake, pressing down gently and cutting away any excess. Place the cake in the refrigerator to chill.
4. Roll out your white fondant to 1/4″ thick and use the snowflake fondant cutters to cut out decorations for the outside of your ornament. Using a little bit of water on the back of each snowflake, attach them to the ornament cake.
5. To make the silver topper, roll out a small cylinder out of your gray fondant about 1 1/2″ in diameter. Attach a gray fondant loop to the top and set in the refrigerator to harden.
6. Once the fondant topper has hardened, spray it with the silver food coloring spray in a well-ventilated area. Once it has dried completely, attach it to the outside of your ornament cake with a small amount of water. See? Piece of cake!!
How many of you put your tree up this past weekend? We just bought a new one strictly for our apartment, so we’ll be putting ours up this weekend! Too bad we can’t hang this ornament cake on our tree too. Ha! We’re working on so many other fun Holiday projects and I can’t wait to show you what we’re up to!