If you hadn’t noticed already, we’re kind of nuts about pom poms over here. Ha! And since it’s finally getting cold here, I thought we’d make a giant pom pom scarf!!! I secretly want one in every color now so I can always be wearing pom poms. This one is a super easy project, and a great alternative for making a Fall scarf if you don’t know how to knit or crochet!
Pom pom maker (we used the largest size)
Various colors of yarn (1 skein of yarn will make approximately 4 pom poms)
Extra yarn for threading everything together
1. Using your pom pom maker, wrap yarn around one arm until it is full. Continue wrapping the other side full of yarn.
2. Push both arms of the maker in and cut all the way down the middle with your scissors. Once the middle is cut, tie a piece of yarn or string very tightly around the middle of the pom pom.
3. Open the pom pom maker and release the pom pom. Trim off any of the excess yarn and shape your pom pom until it looks packaged tightly and round.
4. Repeat these steps to make pom poms in various colors. Once you’ve made your desired amount of pom poms, lay them out on the table in the color order that you want them to be in.
5. String an excess piece of yarn around your embroidery needle and thread it through all of your pom poms. Tie the ends of the yarn very tightly around the end pom poms and trim any excess.
Photos by Kyle Larsen
I LOVE how this project turned out! And it’s totally customizable too, you could make a one-color scarf, or use multiple colors! How many of you guys finally have Fall weather where you are too?
I love this diy,
But I also love your coat where did you pick up such a beautiful item! (I hope you don’t mind me asking)
I LOVE this! I’ve seen a few variations, but yours tops it with that gorgeous pop of colour! I make poms all the time, I think this is something I have to try.
Ok. I need a pom pom maker! Where has this lovely gadget been all my life!! Move over sewing machine, I have pom poms to make.