I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite things about Fall is all of the seasonal food!!! You all might remember when we made these rainbow marbled pop tarts long ago, and knowing now how easy it is to color pie crust, we wanted to show you a simple way to upgrade a plain ‘ole pie! You can do this with whatever colors you choose, and just think how pretty a braided rainbow crust would be. Swoon! We’re most likely doing Thanksgiving at home this year, but Kyle better get ready for about 4 different versions of this pie with various pie puns! Ha! Pies before guys, right?! 😉
Pumpkin pie (can be store-bought or handmade)
Food coloring in pink, orange, and yellow
Small alphabet cookie cutters (here)
1. Split your pie crust into thirds and dye the crust pink, orange, and yellow. Roll out each color of crust to 1/4″ thick and cut the crust into thin strips so you can braid them.
2. Carefully braid your three colors together, making the braid long enough to wrap around the pie crust. We made three separate braids and then connected them. Place the braids in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
3. Heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the braids are chilled, place them along the edge of your pumpkin pie. Put the whole pie in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the colored braids start to brown slightly.
4. Set aside to cool. To make letters for your pie, roll out your colored dough to 1/4″ thickness. Use your cookie cutters to cut out the phrase you want, and place the letters onto a baking sheet.
5. Bake the letters for 5-7, remove from the oven, and let them cool completely before placing them onto your pie.
Well there you have it folks! Bring that to your Friendsgiving dinner and I guarantee that if you go the store-bought route, not one person is going to suspect it! How many of you are hosting Friendsgiving at your house this year? If you aren’t a fan of pumpkin pie, here’s my favorite “pumpkin pie” cake idea!!!