In typical Aww Sam fashion, we had to make a back-to-school cake…because we make a cake for everything!!! And what better back-to-school movie to represent this time of the year than Mean Girls?! So we’re making a SUPER simple Mean Girls cake today that looks like a giant sheet of notebook paper (seriously, you just need a sheet cake and some frosting)! Here’s a shout out to all of my fellow stationary lovers; this one’s for you!
Whoever said that Mean Girls’ quotes are perfect in every situation, were SO right. I’m sure many of you don’t actually celebrate when it’s time to go back to school, BUT cake makes everything better, so we figured that it was a great way to curb those back-to-school blues for some of you. Just stop trying to make fetch happen!
Favorite cake recipe (you can use store-bought)
9″ x 13″ sheet cake pan
Blue, pink, and gray food coloring
Small circle cookie cutter
1. After baking your cake, level off the top with a sharp knife and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Take the cake out of the fridge and cover it completely with white frosting.
2. Smooth out the frosting and allow it to harden slightly. Using your ruler, measure out where you want the lines of your paper to go. I started 3″ from the top of the cake and placed a line every inch. Gently draw the lines onto the cake with a knife.
3. Measure 1 1/2″ from the left side of the cake and mark a line from top to bottom. This will be your pink line. Color the remainder of your frosting blue, red, and gray. Place the frosting in piping bags.
4. With the blue frosting, pipe out all of your horizontal lines. Once those are finished pipe out your vertical pink line.
5. Flatten your black fondant to 1/4″ thick and punch out 3 small circles. Place the circles on the left side of your cake for a hole punched piece of paper.
6. With the gray frosting, pipe out the phrases that you want written on your sheet of paper cake!
This is the ONLY kind of note I want passed to me during class! Ha! How many of you are back or are going back-to-school soon? Oh, and I have one more question: is butter a carb?! 😉