If you’ve been a reader for a few years, you might remember in the early early stages back in 2015 of Aww Sam, I made these cactus donuts! I never actually got to do a tutorial on them and I still get requests to do one to this day, so the time has come for a CACTUS donut tutorial!! These are definitely one of my favorite donut creations ever. I mean, I have a cactus tattoo on my arm, so does it really surprise you that I’d love these?! Ha! These would be really fun to decorate with kiddos, or they’d make a super cute party treat for Summer. PLUS, they’re not hard to make, so let’s get to it!
Store-bought donuts or donuts from your favorite recipe
Green food coloring
Green candy melts
Wilton sugar flowers (we got them from the craft store)
1. Using food coloring, color your icing the same color green as your candy melts. Dip each of the donuts in the icing, shaking off any excess. Place the donuts in the refrigerator until the icing has hardened.
2. Melt the green candy melts in 30 second intervals in the microwave until it has melted completely. Place down a piece of parchment paper and put your melted candy melts into a piping bag.
3. Use our tutorial for the fruit donuts here, and pipe cactus arm shapes onto the the parchment paper. Place a sugar flower on the end of the cactus arm if you wish. Place the parchment paper in the refrigerator until the chocolate has cooled.
4. Put some vanilla frosting into a piping bag and pipe out the needles onto the top of the donuts. I used sprinkles for some of the donuts, but you could also use vanilla frosting instead.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut a hole in the side of the donut where you want to put the arms. Once the arms have hardened, gently push them into the side of the donuts.
6. Finish off with more sugar flowers and don’t get pricked! 😉
Now these are some donuts that don’t succ-ulent! Ha, that was the best cactus pun I could come up with for these. Does anyone else have a cactus obsession or is it just me? They seem to be the only plants I can keep alive, so we have a ton of them around the apartment!
They look exactly like the ones i just saw on pinterest…
Those are my donuts from 2015! 🙂 xoSam
So cute! and so easy to make!
Also, can you mix in matcha to make the icing green too? matcha donuts! yum!