It’s finally starting to feel like Summer here! And that means busting out the cold drinks and fun drink sippers to help you cool down during the heat. One of my favorite ways to enjoy my Summer beverage is with CRAZY STRAWS! Remember always wanting these when you were a kid? Well they’re definitely making a comeback in a big way with these DIY word crazy straws. You’re going to need these for your Summer pool party, and I know everyone will be impressed when you have a straw for each one of your guests. Grab those drinks, you’ll soon have a fun straw to add to them!!
Acrylic straws (here)
Heat gun or small toaster oven
Pen and paper
1. Draw out the word or design you want to make on a piece of paper.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or turn on your heat gun to warm it up. Make sure you are in a well ventilated area.
3. If using an oven, put your acrylic straws in the oven on a tray and remove once the consistency of the acrylic becomes like licorice. Is using a heat gun, warm up the acrylic to the same licorice-like consistency.
4. Making sure you have on oven mitts, quickly shape the straw into the word you have chosen and hold down until it has cooled and the shape is stuck in place.
5. If you mess up and the straw has already cooled, don’t worry, you can heat it up again and re-shape it!
What are you looking forward to the most about warmer days? I’m definitely ready to hang out by the pool with one of these babies and a pineapple shaped cup!
Love this idea!
Thanks Evelyn! 🙂 xo Sam
SQUEEE! no straw is safe from me now that you've shown us how to do this! 🙂
Oh my God! I am in love with this idea! And with your blog!! Love it!!
this is just so good.
This is the coolest idea ever!!!! I love it! Super unique and so fun for any summer party 🙂
Thanks for sharing this
>> Christene @ Keys to Inspiration
I love the idea of DIYing this. Did the Amazon LINK change? It shows straws just over 10″ now which seems IMPOSSIBLy short to spell out some of these words. 😮 Wondering where I can buy some straws to do this without having to contact an extrusion company for the proper length.
Unfortunately the Amazon link did change and I can’t find longer straws anywhere else online for this project. Let me know if you’re able to have any luck though! xoSam
The straws on the link you provided are only 10 inches long but the ones in your photos look like they are at least 18-24 inches. Am I missing something?
Since this post is from 2 years ago, the seller has unfortunately stopped selling the longer straws, but you should be able to use crazy straws from the party store and change the shapes of them once they have melted slightly. Hope that helps! xoSam
Can you share more info on this? I cannot get this to work…and are your straws 10″ like the ones linked?
This project is from two years ago and it seems like they no longer sell the longer straws. So sorry about this, I’ll see if I can find a replacement straw! xoSam