Rainbow bagels have been all the craze this year (especially here in Brooklyn since that’s where they originated), and after making rainbow pop tarts, rainbow donuts, and a rainbow cake, I didn’t want to stop the rainbow madness just yet! Enter: RAINBOW BREAD. This is the first time I’ve ever made bread, and I don’t know why I’ve never done it before! It’s so much easier than you think it would be and it tastes absolutely delicious; like an upgraded sandwich bread. Plus, this one is a lot more fun than normal bread! Oh, and if you’re wondering what prompted my sudden desire to make rainbow bread?! Some of you saw on Snapchat, but I got an AH-mazing bread pan last week at Flying Tiger here in New York! It’s rainbow marbled! (How cool is that??)
1 cup milk
1 egg yolk
3 cups flour
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 packet yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 teaspoons salt
Gel food coloring
1. Whisk milk and egg yolk together in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and yeast. Add in the butter and salt and combine.
3. Add in the milk mixture and knead the dough until it is smooth. Divide the dough into 5 sections and place them on a baking tray covered with plastic wrap.
4. Take one section of the dough and add in food coloring. Knead until the color is completely incorporated. Repeat this will all 5 sections of dough. (This step takes the longest, and make sure to wear gloves so you don’t get food coloring all over your hands) Return the dough to the baking tray, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to rise for 1 hour.
5. When the dough is done rising, roll out the dough and stack the flattened dough on top of one another.
6. Cut the dough stack in half and twist up one half so that it’s swirled. Twist up the other half, and then twist the two halves together so you have one very colorful, large chunk of dough. Place this into a greased bread pan and cover with plastic wrap to allow to rise for 1 hour.
7. Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, uncover dough, and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Allow the bread to cool completely and slice the bread to see your rainbow masterpiece!