First question: Am I totally crazy for already doing Valentine’s Day projects?? I’m not a Valentine’s Day kinda gal (I’ll stick to Galentine’s day instead of the romance), but since you all already know how much I love puns, you can’t blame me for wanting to make valentines so soon. I mean, they’re basically all puns and funny sayings! Second question: How could I resist when there are RAINBOW PSYCHEDELIC fortune cookies to be made! That’s right, since the fortune cookie is basically a blank canvas for any and all color to be added, we rainbow-fied it, and now it’s totally outta this world! PLUS, there are free, printable psychedelic fortunes below so you can let your gal pals know just how groovy they really are.
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
Dash of salt
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons water
Gel food coloring in pink, purple, blue, green, and yellow
Piping bags and piping tips
Printed fortunes (find the download link below)
1. Print and cut out your fortunes. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and grease two cookie sheets.
2. Beat the egg whites, vanilla extract, almond extract, and vegetable oil until frothy.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and sugar. Combine this with the egg mixture. Add in the water. Beat until you have a batter (almost like a pancake batter consistency).
4. Separate the batter into 6 different bowls evenly. Dye each bowl a different color, leaving one bowl the normal batter color. Put the 5 colors in piping bags, leaving the normal colored batter out in a bowl.
5. Place a tablespoon of your normal colored batter on a baking sheet and using the back of a spoon, even it out to form a small circle 4 inches in diameter.
6. Take the piping bags and pipe lines and swirls over top of the 4 inch circle of batter. Using a toothpick, run the colors together to create a tie dyed effect.
7. Bake for about 6-7 minutes or until the edges of the cookie turn golden brown. Take out of the oven and remove immediately from the baking sheet with a spatula.
8. Working quickly, place a fortune inside the cookie and fold the cookie over to create a taco shell shape. With the folded edge down, gently press down the cookie over the lip of a small bowl. Place the cookie in the cavity of a cupcake pan until completely dry. (Here is a video on how to fold them)
Yummy Yummy!! need to make these!
Im trying to make some of these fortune cookies but the consistency isnt right, theyarent pliable after coming out of the oven. when i fold them they just break, but like because they are too soft not hard. Suggestions? Thanks!
Fortune cookies are super tricky to get exactly right. It sounds like you might have put too much batter for each one. Try putting the thinnest layer of batter you can for each one and they should be crisper when you take them out of the oven! 🙂 xoSam