After learning how to put sprinkles in marshmallows and making cotton candy s’mores (exhibit A), and turning donuts into the best s’mores ever (exhibit B), I’m always on the hunt for new, crazy ways to spice up the generic campfire treat. And since Fall is the perfect time to enjoy one of these babies, I’ve been dreaming up a spooky version with CANDY MARSHMALLOWS! That’s right, we made homemade marshmallows (once you eat a homemade marshmallow, you will always want homemade marshmallows) and we put gummy worms, eyeballs, and fingers IN the marshmallows! So you could even put these little cubes of deliciousness in your hot cocoa for a scary cold weather drink. (But that’s for next time)! This time we turned them into s’mores with a little help from some black melting chocolate and a graham cracker or two. See the how-to below and get my favorite vanilla marshmallow recipe too!
Black chocolate melts
Butter (for greasing the pan)
2 packets of gelatin
3/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Large baking pan (I used a bread pan)
For the marshmallows:
1. Lightly grease the baking pan with butter. Set aside.
2. Whisk together 2 packets of gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Mix together the remaining 1/4 cup of water, sugar, 1/4 of the corn syrup, and salt in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and keep on heat until the temperature reaches 240 degrees Fahrenheit. It is every important to use a candy thermometer for this step or your mixture could crystallize.
4. In the meantime, microwave the gelatin until melted (about 30 seconds) and place in a large bowl. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of the corn syrup and whisk mixture together.
5. When the mixture on the stove reaches the correct temperature, slowly pour it into the bowl with the gelatin and corn syrup, constantly mixing as you pour. Increase the speed to high and mix for 10 minutes. Add the vanilla and continue mixing until the marshmallow mixture reaches stiff peaks.
6. Working quickly so the marshmallow doesn’t start to set, pour into the baking pan. Fold in your gummy candy and smooth the top of the marshmallow with a spatula. Add a few more gummies to the top so you can have some marshmallows with worms coming out of the sides.
7. Allow to sit at room temperature for 6 hours before serving. When cutting the marshmallows, butter a knife to get a crisp cut. I cut mine into small squares, but you can cut them into whatever shape you would like.
For the s’mores:
1. Assemble your s’mores! Melt the marshmallows over a flame or in the microwave for 5 seconds, place on a graham cracker, add your melting chocolate, and top with another graham cracker!
Hope you’re enjoying our Halloween treat ideas! Everyone will get a kick out of these at your Halloween party! And even if you don’t have time to make homemade marshmallows, give your guests a few gummy eyeballs to throw into their s’mores, and they’ll be letting you know “Eye love it”!