After searching high and low for decorations for the studio, I came to the realization that I am probably going to never find exactly what I want for this space (or if I do, it’s going to be the price of my whole pay check). And ever since I totally missed out on this ice cream cone planter from Urban Outfitters, I’ve been dreaming of fun ice cream-related ways to show off my favorite cacti. I mean, who doesn’t constantly dream of ice cream! Anyways, I’ve made waffle cones once before and I thought I could apply this same technique to clay to make waffle cone wall planters and soothe my lust for fun studio decorations. This is a really fun one to make, and it’s definitely necessary to eat ice cream while you’re making them!
– Sculpey modeling clay (I used 1.75lbs to make 3 planters)
– Rolling pin
– Party hat
– Circle relative to the size you will want your planter (Mine was 8″ in diameter)
– Clay tools or a knife
– Metal cookie sheet
– Aluminum foil
– Acrylic paint
1. Heat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Divide the Sculpey into three equal parts. Take one part and roll it out until it is 1/4 of an inch thick.
2. Place the circle on top and use as a template to cut the clay into a circle.
3. Use a ruler and a clay tool or knife to make small scores in the clay every half an inch to create a gridded pattern like a waffle cone. Repeat scoring in the other direction.
4. Wrap the outside of the party hat in aluminum foil and carefully fold the clay around the hat with the gridded pattern on the outside, creating a cone and overlapping both ends in the front. Cut out a small hole in the back for hanging on the wall.
5. Cover a metal cookie tray with aluminum foil and place the party hat on the tray point side up to bake. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before painting.
These would be really great in an ice cream cone holder as a flower vase on the table too! Or you could use them as a pencil holder for your desk. There are so many possibilities, just be careful because they’ll have you craving real ice cream!